"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Trusting God for a Happy Ending

And the LORD said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have delivered them into your hand; not a man of them shall stand before you.” Joshua therefore came upon them suddenly, having marched all night from Gilgal. So the LORD routed them before Israel, killed them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, chased them along the road that goes to Beth Horon, and struck them down as far as Azekah and Makkedah. And it happened, as they fled before Israel and were on the descent of Beth Horon, that the LORD cast down large hailstones from heaven on them as far as Azekah, and they died. There were more who died from the hailstones than the children of Israel killed with the sword. Joshua 10:8-11
Jonah and I have found our grove for his school. By starting my day reading to him and teaching him while I sip my coffee, we are able to get much accomplished before the house gets busy with its daily assortment of guests. Today Jonah's Bible lesson from Egermier's Bible Story Book was entitled "The Sun and the Moon Stand Still." While I don't know what Jonah got out of it, I know I was sure blessed! 



According to the book of Joshua, after Israel entered the Promised Land God commanded them to destroy their enemies. A nearby group of people tricked them into making a treaty. (I can't say I blame them!) Afterward Israel discovered they had been deceived, but they honored the treaty and as a result found themselves battling the enemies of their new "friendly enemies." After Israel marched all night to the place of battle, their enemies were taken by surprise and ran. While they were running, God sent hail. The hail killed more than the trained soldiers killed in battle. 

Unlike me, God is never in over His head, overwhelmed by circumstances, or in the least bit frustrated. My life is filled with things only God can fix. While I can't say I always enjoy the process—sometimes it is very painful—I can say that because I have seen God work out impossible situations in the past, I am more easily able to trust Him with life's present challenges. 



How thankful I am for God's Word that is filled with examples of His faithfulness. And while God can and often does use people, like those Israeli soldiers, He is in no way limited to people. After all, if God can accomplish His purpose so long ago by bringing out the hail, He can use methods I haven't yet imagined to accomplish His purpose in my life.

See Old Wives' Fables.
See The Complaint Department.

No comments:

Post a Comment