"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Monday, December 2, 2013

Old Wives' Fables


But reject profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness. For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come. 1 Timothy 4:7-8 
Recently a close Liberian friend, her face a mask of seriousness, urged me to never, ever answer my cell phone if the prefix was a 500 number. According to rumor on the street, if a person answered a phone with that prefix he or she would die.

Image Pixabay "Openclips"
I was able to use this opportunity to share some important truths from the Word of God with my friend. Namely, that showing such great respect for rumors  dishonored God at the same time it glorified Satan. After all, does God, enthroned in heaven, figuratively wring His hands because in Liberia one of His children answered a 500 number?

But I must be honest. While I have no temptation whatsoever to panic over cell phone numbers, black cats or the number 13, I have given credence to some of the many “Christian” old wives’ fables floating about. If I don’t read my Bible on a given day, bad things may happen to me. (Bible reading becomes a spiritual rabbit's foot.) If I don’t pray for people in a particular way using certain "magic words," they are in danger. (Prayer becomes the Christian equivalent of not allowing my loved ones to walk under ladders.) Christian activity assures me of God's favor. (My own frantic version of knocking on wood.)

Image Stockx.change "osmar01"
How thankful I am that God has helped me through the years to surrender more and more to the real truths of His Word and to understand more fully who I am in Christ. Old wives’ fables—Christian or otherwise—have no place in my life. And, I must say, it is just in the nick of time. As I approach 33 years of marriage to Mark, I may soon qualify as an "old wife"! 

2 comments: