"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Complaint Department

Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world. Philippians 2:14-15
A few days ago my husband Mark and son Jared traveled to Voinjama, Liberia, to bring John-Mark and Sara their newly purchased vehicle. I was pleased Mark could spend a few days visiting John-Mark's little family in their home setting. He also used the time to teach a two-day seminar, "Witchcraft and the Bible," to Liberian believers.


To keep the home fires burning, I stayed in Monrovia with Jonah. And I was OK with that until things started going wrong. I could not get my cell phone to charge properly, the city electricity went off unexpectedly, our personal generator gave me fits, and then, because I wasn't having enough trouble, the water pump was accidentally unplugged—leaving us unnecessarily waterless. I was not a happy camper.

In fact, I must admit I had an attitude issue. According to the The Expository's Bible Commentary, the world grumble is "unexpressed feeling of bitterness or the smothered resentment that may express itself in a groan or a sigh." I was guilty last night of grumbling.

While on the outside it would appear my grumbling was about a pathetic cell phone charger, a quirky generator or the husband who left me responsible for those things, it was actually more than that. My complaints showed my lack of trust in the providence of God. After all, according to Romans 8:28-29, God uses these very things to grow me more and more into the likeness of His Son. "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren."


And that, the knowledge that God can use all things in my life to increase Christlikeness, should not only stop any grumbling and complaining before it starts, it should fill me with praise. After all, in God's economy nothing is ever wasted—even quirky cell phone chargers and generators with issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment