"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Exceedingly Abundantly Above All I Could Ask or Think

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:10
Today was one of those "once in a lifetime" days. A day when things come together in a way that defies all odds. My heart is overwhelmed with joy.

When my oldest son John-Mark was born in 1982, the woman at the hospital who brought us the birth certificate application expressed delight in our choice of names. We had told her we were naming our baby John-Mark because we were going to be missionaries in Liberia and he was going to be, like his Bible namesake, our missionary companion.




When we said John-Mark would be our missionary companion we were, of course, thinking of his childhood. At the tender age of 22, which was how old I was when John-Mark was born, the thought of tiny little John-Mark growing up and actually becoming a man one day was all but incomprehensible. But time passed and it happened. John-Mark grew up. And God did a tremendous work in our now-grown missionary companion's heart.  As a result, he and his precious wife presently live and minister in Voinjama, an interior town of Liberia. 

Yesterday the President of Liberia, Madame Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf or "Ma Ellen," was visiting their town and spent some time working the crowd, of whom John-Mark and Sara were a part. They don't know exactly why, but perhaps because they were holding my two little grandbabies who just happen to be absolutely darling, the President took notice of them. In fact, she not only took notice of them, after speaking with them briefly she invited them to dinner at her local house! 



Crowd waiting to greet the President
President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf holding my grandson Noah
They went and enjoyed themselves tremendously. And then after dinner the President invited them to breakfast. How could they refuse? Again, they had a lovely time—and this time they were even able to have a photo taken with her. It was all very exciting.

The President with my granddaughter Audrey, Sara and John-Mark
Audrey in the president's "queen chair"
At the same time all of this was happening for John-Mark and Sara, something else was happening for me. Several weeks ago I submitted the e-book edition of Confessions of a Transformed Heart to Bookbub, an e-book promotional website that each day advertises one to three price-reduced or free bookin several select categories(Confessions falls under the religious and inspirational category.) To my great joy, the book was accepted. The date for Bookbub's e-flyer was set for February 19th. 

Yesterday, within an hour of the beginning of the promotion, several thousand people had downloaded the book. Thrilling indeed! And then this morning I woke up to Confessions of a Transformed Heart as the #1 free non-fiction Kindle book on Amazon. 



This has to be a "God thing" because there is no human probability that John-Mark and Sara would ever meet and then eat two meals in a row with the President of Liberia and there is no human probability my book would be the #1 non-fiction free offering in the Amazon Kindle store. But yet both of those things were true—and at the same time!

I am overwhelmed with the goodness of God. As those who know us already know and others may seriously suspect, Mark and I are completely ordinary people. Yet an extraordinary God has chosen us for this job. And today I wish so very much that all of those who have loved us and supported us through the years could join hands with Mark and me and sing one of my favorite hymns, "To God Be the Glory"!

"To God Be the Glory"
To God be the glory, great things he hath done!
So loved he the world that he gave us his Son,
who yielded his life an atonement for sin,
and opened the lifegate that all may go in.
Refrain:
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
let the earth hear his voice!
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
let the people rejoice!
O come to the Father thru Jesus the Son,
and give him the glory, great things he hath done! 
O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood,
to every believer the promise of God;
the vilest offender who truly believes,
that moment from Jesus a pardon receives.
(Refrain) 
Great things he hath taught us, great things he hath done,
and great our rejoicing thru Jesus the Son;
but purer, and higher, and greater will be
our wonder, our transport, when Jesus we see.
(Refrain)
See Embracing Humility.
See The Worst Mother Ever!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs. Sheppard! I downloaded your book onto my kindle and devoured it in two afternoons. I was so blessed by it and God has used it to open some floodgates of prayer in my heart regarding my own "fear of man" personality. I am a 34 year old wife and mother living in north Alabama. I homeschool my two oldest children (2nd and K) and run around after my younger two (4 and 2). The oldest is a girl and the rest boys. Your book brought me joy and hope and the testimonies you gave to the Lord's faithfulness and providence in your life will be with me for years to come. I am praying for you and your family as you continue to feed the thirsty with living water!
    "To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy - to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."
    Kindest Regards,
    Denise Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much for the comment, Nina. I am happy to know God has used my story to encourage you on your spiritual journey. Thank you also for your prayers. They are appreciated more than you can know!

    In Christ,
    Nancy Sheppard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Sheppard,
    I too was one of the ones who downloaded your book - and I cannot tell you what a blessing it has been! Your beautiful words and testimony have literally brought me to my knees as I have really begun to examine my heart. I feel especially blessed to have encountered your words of wisdom so early in my marriage. My husband I were married in January and have already come to a point of making significant choices for our family - including moving several states away from my family, whom I am very close with. Your words of wisdom in regards to submission and reverance were so powerful - and just what I needed to hear. Know that you are not only touching lives in Africa - but around the world as well!

    Many blessings and prayers,

    Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your sweet comment, Julianne. I didn't see it until just now, which is LONG after your post! Sorry about that. Anyway, God bless you as you celebrate your first wedding anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your book and was touched by it so much, it brought me closer to God and has opened my eyes to wanting to become a missionary. But I don't have any clue on where to begin? Thank you and God bless

    ReplyDelete