"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Trust Issues

Many years ago after my son Nathan was born in Monrovia, Liberia, as a result of my physical exhaustion from the birth and the necessary care of Nathan and his two older siblings, my mind was a piece of fuzz. In an act of spaciness unparalleled by any other act of spaciness in my life, I accepted two (not one, but two) invitations for supper on the same night—and then forgot both of them. 



I was humiliated and horrified. The invitations were from missionary friends trying to help us out after our son's birth.  While we were able to pull ourselves together once we realized what had happened and get to the one house "fashionably late," the other situation was not so easily salvaged. Our coworkers were gracious as we profusely apologized the next day, but I knew it would take more than a little time before trust was reestablished. 
How very wonderful it is that God is not like me! 
1. Although sometimes it may seem He is late, God is always just on time. 
Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass. He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, And your justice as the noonday. Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him. Psalm 37:5-7b
2. Although sometimes it seems He has forsaken me, God has not done so for even the briefest of moments. 
For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we may boldly say: “The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?” Hebrews 13:5b-6
3. Although sometimes it seems He is not watching out for my greatest good, my angst shows I don't understand what my greatest good truly is. 
As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. Psalm 18:30

While people may be disappointed in me with good reason, my disappointment with God never reflects a true understanding of all the facts. How thankful I am I can trust Him with every single detail of my life. God, and God alone, is totally 
trustworthy.

See Behaving Like a Crazy Mongoose.
See The Niagara Falls of God's Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment