"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Message from the "Old Ma"

The older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things--that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. Titus 2:3-5
Photo from stockx.change by Billy Alexander
Perhaps one of the "Liberianisms" I like least is the referring to respected women as "Old Ma." Even when I was in my 20s the small children would call me Old Ma. It seriously rankled me. While I still don't like it, I am now in my 50s and have to admit it is inevitable more and more people will be calling me that dreaded name, so I might as well get used to it.


That being said, while I may not love the name, I do love the responsibility I as an older woman have. I love being able to say a word here and there to encourage a young mom. I love being able to help to strengthen a marriage with wisdom from Scriptures.

We as older women must embrace this stage of life. In as much as we personally have accepted and applied biblical wisdom, we have truths to share with the younger women around us. By being honest and vulnerable ourselves, we can become a resource for young women just starting to walk the paths we've been on for years.

And the stakes are incredibly high. According to Titus 2:5, if the younger women are not taught to love their husbands and children properly, it is the Word of God itself that is blasphemed.

So, ladies, let's go for it! Find a young lady to mentor. As for me, I have an advantage. They have to listen to me. After all, I'm an Old Ma!


No comments:

Post a Comment