"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Monday, September 2, 2013

Am I Gorgeous Yet?

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.  For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Romans 8:28-9
Jonah and I have a little routine going. In the morning if he wants to eat breakfast sooner rather than later, he points to my robe. He knows breakfast is going to come a lot faster if I don't try to fix myself up first.

Jonah
However, sometimes he doesn't get there in time and I am already trying to beautify myself. He will try to hurry me along but I am in no condition to face the public, so I will ask, "Am I gorgeous yet?" If he's not particularly hungry he will answer, "No." However, if he is hungry and just wants me to be done, he will answer, "Yes!" despite evidence to the contrary.

Sadly, this is what I am tempted to do in my spiritual life. Life's trials are painful and slow and I just want them over. Fast. God is trying to make me beautiful and all I want is breakfast!

Thankfully my heavenly Father never settles for anything less than perfect parenting. When there is a sinful attitude or action in my life, despite the fact I'm crying, "I don't want to be gorgeous; I just want to be done!" He continues His purifying work.

Because, when I look like Jesus, God thinks I'm gorgeous.

Jared, Nancy, Mark, Jonah
See the satirical Book Review: Humility and How I Attained It by I.M. Phake
See On Making Jonah a Sheppard.
See Jonah's Brush with Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment