"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Friday, September 27, 2013

Following My Heart, a Truly Stupid Idea

"The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?"
I don't remember when the "follow your heart" craze began, but let me speak honestly as a long-time Christian and a missionary since 1986. This "follow your heart" stuff is truly nuts.

If I had "followed my heart" I would be divorced (probably multiple times from multiple men), abandon my children (at least once a week—only to return and then abandon them again and repeat the process endlessly), have left missionary work (or, more likely, been kicked out of it) and generally made an absolutely miserable mess of my life. 

Image from stockx.change
Jeremiah has it right. My heart is deceitful! When I trust my heart I am setting myself up for failure. If I follow my heart and put myself on the throne of my life rather than God, I will get to see what disaster looks like "up close and personal." 

Rather than following my heart I desperately need to follow the heart of God! God wants me to be faithful to my husband in every possible way. He wants me to love my children whether or not they deserve it or I feel like it. And He wants me to do this in His strength because He knows I cannot, or will not, do it if I am dependent on my own feeble, heart-led strength. 

Thankfully the more I immerse myself in God's Word and call out to Him in weakness, the more I want what His heart wants. If I follow God's heart, I will, with God's help, say a resounding "No!" when temptations arise to be unfaithful to my marriage, my children, or other God-given responsibilities. If I follow God's heart, I will finish the race of life well. 

So, with God's help and by His grace, I absolutely refuse to follow my heart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment