"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Friday, September 6, 2013

The Lowest Servant in the Room

Image public domain

Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, “Lord, are You washing my feet?” 
Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.”  
Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!” 
Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.”  
Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!” Jesus said to him, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you.” For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, “You are not all clean.” So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. John 13:3-17

This job of foot washing would normally be that of a household servant or the person of lowest standing. Jesus' disciples were sitting in the upper room  for what we now know as "the last supper" with collective dirty feet because none of the twelve had any desire to degrade himself by assuming the role of a servant. I can only imagine their horror when they realized that Jesus was going to do it. While each disciple assumed he wasn't the lowest in the room and so the job of foot washing should not be his, they all knew, of course, that Jesus certainly wasn't the one to be doing it!

But Jesus had an important lesson to teach his disciples. A lesson in humility—a humility that not only gets down on its knees and does lowly, even humiliating, work, but one that accepts the ignoble distinction of lowest servant in the room.

What did it mean to be the lowest servant in the room?

1. The lowest servant in the room knew his master and obeyed him.
2. The lowest servant in the room was expected to do his job—no matter how lowly.
3. The lowest servant in the room had no expectation of thanks or appreciation.
4. The lowest servant in the room expected to serve, not to be served. 

Most Christians are aware of Jesus' teaching in this portion of scripture. We know we are supposed to serve in humility. But, in our human pride, accepting the true mantle of a servant is very, very difficult. We are more than happy to be humble as long as someone praises us for our humility. We are more than happy to serve as long as someone notices and thanks us. We are more than happy to be a servant until someone treats us like one.

But when Jesus modeled servanthood He had something very specific in mind—something quite unlike anything possible in human strength. And this is how it plays out in real life if I will use the power God offers.

1. If I am the lowest servant in the room, as long as my Master is satisfied, I will not worry about what other people think or say about my work.
2. If I am the lowest servant in the room I will be able to perform lowly tasks without anger or self-pity.
3. If I am the lowest servant in the room I will not expect thanks or other signs of appreciation. If someone gives it to me, I will receive it as a gift rather than an earned wage.
4. If I am the lowest servant in the room I have no sense of entitlement, so I am not offended if others do not serve me. If they do, how nice! But if they don't, that's OK too.

Jesus' call to servanthood is, unbelievable as it appears at first blush, something truly  safe. It is trusting God to lift me up rather than elevating myself. It is trusting God to do His work (in His way and in His time) in the lives of people near me—without my manipulation. It is trusting God that, by becoming His servant, I will be truly free.


See My Desperate Need for Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment