"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Monday, December 9, 2013

The Niagara Falls of God's Grace


In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself. Ephesians 1:7-9

After years of talking about it, several years ago while traveling through New York, we finally had the chance to visit Niagara Falls. And we weren't disappointed. It was a glorious day and we were able to walk around the park, enjoying its beauty. And, best of all, we took advantage of the famous "Maid of the Mist" boat ride. We were drenched by the time we were done, but it was worth it!


I had, of course, heard much about Niagara Falls, but nothing quite prepared me for the actual power of it. The water literally roared down the falls and I could not help but think about what would happen if someone got caught in it. (Actually, the museum nearby greatly helped me think about what would happen. It was filled with gruesome stories of people who intentionally or unintentionally went over the falls!)

I was reminded of this power when I read the following excerpt  from Tom Westwood's  Ephesians: Bible Treasury Series. "So, when we come to Christianity, the floodtide of God's heart of love is let loose in the death of Christ, and it comes to you and me in its super abundant fullness. The riches of God's grace, notice the expression, "The riches of His grace abounds toward us in all wisdom and intelligence." It is like the great Niagara, a cataract of impelling force and power, let loose from the mighty ocean of eternal love, gushing forth in abundant fullness into your heart and mine."


What a word picture! But how different than the way I can catch myself thinking at times. In fact, I hate to think of how often I have insulted God by assuming His love for me had its basis in, at least in some small way, my merit. It just seems so intuitive.

But the more I study the Bible the more I realize that God's love for me is completely disconnected from my "worthiness" and completely connected to the worthiness of Christ.  As His child, no matter how much I fail in the nitty-gritty of daily life to measure up to God's holiness, He will never reject me. Why? Because of what Christ did for me on the cross. I "have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins." 


My mind stumbles at the thought of such mercy , but by faith I accept what the Bible says. Despite all of my faults, foibles and failures, there is a Niagara Falls-sized grace flowing over me. 

See Honoring a Worthy God.
See Lessons My Grandma Taught Me Without Saying a Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment