"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Graceful at Last

But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful. Luke 6:32-36
By the end of my sixth grade year, I was the tallest student in the entire school and taller than most of the teachers, too! I actually grew six inches in those nine months. And because my twin sister was behind me developmentally and at one point six inches shorter than me, I felt like a very awkward version of the Jolly Green Giant. It became a bit of a joke because the meaning of the name Nancy is "grace," and I, with my perpetually bruised hips, was far from graceful! 


Of course at that time I was thinking of grace as a physical attribute. One I lacked. But I knew it was also a theological word. As a child I learned the acronym for grace was "God's riches at Christ's expense," but I could not grasp what that meant for my daily life. From what I understood, because I was incapable of earning my own salvation God offered it as a free gift. And then, because of my gratitude, after accepting that gift I was supposed to figure out how I could pay Him back.

But how wrong my thinking was! Salvation is a gift from God—an unmerited favor as a result of His grace. In fact, "grace" and "gift" are the same word in the original texts. It's something I can't repay, but since it is a gift, I don't have to. 

That's the whole point! Rather than trying to repay Christ for His gift, I am to respond to the grace that has been lavished on me with a Christ-like humility that pours out grace and mercy on others who, like me, are undeserving. 

Image Heidi Sheppard
Some time after God helped me understand grace in a new way, a beautiful thought occurred. I realized He had done something very special for me. In place of all the guilt and self-effort, God had absolutely filled my life with His grace. And as a result I could now, at last, truly embrace my name.

See Betting My Life It's True.
See A Raging Thirst for Righteousness.
See Exercising the Life-Draining "Gift of Criticism."

No comments:

Post a Comment