"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Monday, October 14, 2013

Honoring a Worthy God

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” Ephesians 6:1-3


Some months ago sixteen year-old Jared and I were having a conversation similar to one that has probably been played out by every mother and son since Eve and Cain. I had asked  Jared to do something and he had a different idea. A better idea. We talked about his idea and ultimately I was unmoved, still feeling he needed to obey me and do exactly as I had originally said. Jared was frustrated. 

It occurred to me that while he thought it was about the subject at hand, I knew it was about something much more bigger. The Bible said Jared was to obey and honor me as his mother, even if he totally disagreed with what I was saying—unless, of course, I was asking him to sin. His disobedience and/or dishonor were sins not first of all against me, but against God Himself. And conversely, while it would seem his yielding was a loss, Jared's obedience and honor of me would actually bring God's blessing upon his life—a very good thing. 



I, too, even as an adult, have a biblical responsibility to honor my parents. Even though my mother is in heaven now, the principle remains important. Of course the rub is that neither my parents nor I deserve honor if honor should be given only to "worthy" people.

But the Bible gives no such prerequisite. I have no biblical right to analyze whether or not my parents deserve honor any more than my children have the right to make that decision about me. Rather, I must figure out what honoring my parents looks like at this stage in my life and then do that. My children must do the same for my husband and me. 


The child who is respectful honors an unworthy parent to show honor to a worthy God. When I understand this I can confidently encourage my children to be respectful of me. When my children honor me, God will bless them. And that is what I call a win win situation.

See Inheriting a Blessing.
See Betting My Life It's True.

No comments:

Post a Comment