"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Monday, September 23, 2013

Exercising the Life-Draining "Gift of Criticism"

Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Romans 14:4 
I used to be a lot smarter than I am now. Years ago, by merely looking at someone, I could discern if he or she were spiritual. It actually wasn't difficult to do. For example, by simply visually measuring the length of a man's hair as it related to the top of his ear or a woman's skirt as it related to her kneecaps, I could instantly ascertain whether or not an individual really loved Jesus. 

But then something happened.  It dawned on me that the Bible people whose behavior I most closely resembled when exercising my "gift of criticism" were the Pharisees. These men were meticulously careful in everything related to outward appearance. They not only had their hair just so and wore the correct clothing, they actually tied Bible verses to their foreheads. And rather than praising them both for adherence to the outward religious standards of their day as well as their on-going efforts to get everyone else to do the same, the Pharisees were the people Jesus most roundly condemned. 

Pharisee thanking God he is not like others - Image Public Domain
It wasn't that Jesus was going soft. No, He was a fan of the law. In fact, He came to fulfill it. But Jesus knew the Pharisee's outward conformity to rules saved neither them nor their followers. In fact, Jesus said, "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves."

Having failed miserably on countless occasions to live up to God's perfect standard, I bask in the joy of knowing that on the cross the judgment for my sin was laid on Jesus. It is in His righteousness alone I stand. And, according to Romans 14: 4 which says, "Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls," I am safely able to leave judging to God who sees the heart. I am then freed to concentrate on loving God with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength and my neighbor as myself. 

Whew! Who knew? 

No comments:

Post a Comment