"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Sizzling Romance

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. Philippians 4:8
Many, many years ago a very reliable source recommended a particular romance author to me. I got the first book from the public library in Minneapolis and, sure enough, I liked it. It was sweet, fun and innocent. And so I then borrowed the second, third, fourth, etc. However, I noticed as I read them that little by little, book by book, things were heating up.

stockx.change "yoshiaka"
Finally I asked my friend, "Don't the graphic scenes bother you?"

"What scenes?"

"You know. The graphic scenes. Aren't they a bit much? Doesn't it bother you to read them?"

"You read those parts? Really? I just skip them."

Skip them? The thought had not occurred to me!

So began some soul-searching. I knew that I, unlike my friend, was not going to skip the graphic scenes. No way. The attraction was just too powerful. And I knew the time had come to make a decision about reading material. If I was going to be like Christ, according to Philippians 4:8 my thoughts needed to reflect what was true and lovely and I knew romance novels like these weren't leading me in that direction.

So I began to purposefully prioritize books that would build me up spiritually. And as my mind became more and more saturated with God's Word, the pull to what was not worthy became less strong. In fact, I found myself truly attracted to reading material that was good for me.

How thankful I am God convicted me in this area. Not only do I not miss questionable love stories, God has greatly used wholesome and spiritually meaty reading materials to grow in me a deeper understanding of the most amazing love story ever. His story.

stockx.change "EmZed"

See Honoring a Worthy God.
See Lessons My Grandma Taught Me Without Saying a Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment