"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Friday, October 18, 2013

Signed, Sealed, Not Yet Delivered

(5) having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, (11) In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory. Ephesians 1:5,11-14

Jonah, our son, had not wanted to go to junior church by himself on Sunday mornings, but found it very difficult to sit through the long Liberian church services. Several months ago we were visiting a church where the children were meeting on benches outside the building and I knew Jonah would be just fine without a family member present, but he was reluctant. His eyes betrayed that while he knew he should trust me completely, maybe, just maybe, something could happen and we wouldn't be there when junior church ended.

I was then struck with a brilliant idea. I had a way to convince him that, even though he couldn't see us, he could know we were indeed there. Our car! Our car was sitting right there near him and it could be the assurance he needed that we were in the church building. I pointed to the car and said something to the effect of, "Even though you can't see us, you can know we are in the church building because you can see the car."

That totally resonated with him and I could see the relief in his eyes. He bounced off to his little class and we didn't see him until it was over. It was a milestone for Jonah as it was the first time he had made it all the way through a Liberian service away from us. We were all relieved.

Jonah (middle) with Liberian children
And, amazingly, God has done something similar for me. God knew it would be hard for me to trust He would be there to take me home with Him if there was not something right there with me. And so God has put a part of the Godhead itself inside of me—the Holy Spirit. Jesus, near the end of ministry said to the disciples, "And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever--the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you."

According to Ephesians 1, that Holy Spirit living in me is the "guarantee" I am a child of God. In fact, I am "sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise." Just like in the olden days letters were sealed to ensure their content was secure, I too am sealed. And when will I be opened? At the "redemption of the purchased possession." And that too is me—God's purchased possession. Bought by the blood of Christ.

One day my redemption will be complete. But for now, because the Holy Spirit is right here with me, even though I can't see God I need not be afraid. The abiding Holy Spirit is the assurance I will soon be with my eternal Father.

And I am so very,very thankful for the Holy Spirit in my life. After all, Jonah is not the only one who truly appreciates assurance.

See The Best Borrower Ever!
See Message from the "Old Ma."

No comments:

Post a Comment