"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Book Review: "The Family Nobody Wanted"

Recently I was browsing through Good Reads and was fascinated by the technology whereby they gave suggestions of what books you might want to read based on the ones you had already read. A book entitled The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss showed up. The title was fascinating in itself, but I was even more intrigued when I read the blurb. They were right; I wanted it!

Well, happily, recently as I was sorting through a massive number of books being entered into the Bible school library, I stumbled across an old hardback copy of The Family Nobody Wanted. I put it by my purse to make sure it got home with me.


And I was not disappointed! First published in 1954, The Family Nobody Wanted is a very well-written story of a couple, the husband a methodist minister, whose struggle with infertility eventually led them into the world of adoption. But, unlike today, in that day it was very, very unusual to adopt outside of your "race." (I prefer to think of all humans as members of the human race and skin color just that—color, but I'll save that for another post!) One adoption led to another and then to another until, in the end, they had twelve children. 

Image public domain
Because their story was so incredibly unusual, there were several occasions on which the family was featured in well-known publications, such as Life magazine. This propelled their story to national prominence. It is easy to see that God used this precious family to help break down barriers of prejudice and, in many ways, they were the precursor to what we see in the adoption world today.

Image public domain
Personally, I feel very grateful!

Jonah and Heidi Sheppard 2010



2 comments:

  1. Will have to see if our library has copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book was very popular in its day! It was even made into a play for high schools. It should be in your library :)

    ReplyDelete