"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Monday, August 26, 2013

The (Re)Making and Promotion of "Jason and the Mischievous Mongoose"!

John-Mark and his friend Paul in Tappita, Liberia, 1987
Jason and the Mischievous Mongoose, a story loosely based on our family and its experiences with pet mongooses in Liberia, West Africa, was first published by Regular Baptist Press in 1991. The story, with its cute sketches added by the publisher, were shortly after modified to a 5-day serial to use for the next summer's vacation Bible school programs. 


Several years ago it occurred to me that, because it had been more than ten years since it had been in print, the rights to the manuscript should legally revert back to me. I contacted Regular Baptist Press and, sure enough, the rights were mine if I wanted them. Sans sketches.  

But, hey, I had an idea! I had at my diposal what it would take to make an amazing "new and improved" Jason and the Mischievous Mongoose

I had a daughter, Heidi, who was an excellent photographer.


I had a son, Jared, with amazing computer skills.

 

I had a great location.


I had very photogenic friends who volunteered to pose for the various scenes. 




All I lacked was a mongoose. 

But soon I had one of those as well!


And so, here it is, folks! Jason and the Mischievous Mongoose —Reloaded!

When nine year-old Jason Steward becomes the owner of a baby mongoose, he is sure that he can take care of him and keep him out of trouble. But Pepper is as full of life and spice as Liberian hot pepper and Jason soon finds himself in a dilemma only God, through prayer, can solve. But where is God when Jason prays?

Missionary author Nancy Sheppard and her photographer daughter Heidi team up to create a fanciful and colorful Liberian tale. Not unlike the real-life adventures of Heidi and her four siblings as they enjoyed their childhoods in Africa, this coming-of-age story has at its heart a lovable family pet. The engaging narrative in combination with the beauty of the photos will delight readers of all ages.
Needless to say, I have the most amazing friends and family ever! I am thankful to each  one for his or her participation in this project. For privacy reasons I won't name names, but you know who you are! Thank you!

From August 27-31 Jason and the Mischievous Mongoose, in each of its three editions (English Kindle edition, English iPad edition, Spanish Kindle edition) is available for $0.99. 

Enjoy! And pass the news on to others!








No comments:

Post a Comment