"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Monday, August 5, 2013

Learning to Love the Bible


Some years ago a friend challenged me to pray that I would learn to love the Bible more. I liked the Bible a lot. I admired the Bible immensely. I wanted to love it. But to be honest, a good Francine Rivers novel could send me reeling off into Excuseland. Sadly, when I prioritized reading that fascinated me, I revealed what fascinated me a bit less. And so I prayed, not with much faith, that God would stir my heart to love His Word. To really, truly love it.
photo from stock.xchng Yoshi Aka
While we were in the States on our one-year home assignment I was given the Beth Moore "Daniel" Bible study disks and an empty workbook. Upon our arrival back in Liberia I made the decision that I would do the entire study even though I would be doing it alone. To my surprise I found it absolutely riveting. Additionally, I found Beth's obvious love for the Bible truly inspirational. Here was someone who was "all woman" - I could hardly wait to see what she was going to be wearing - but was this Bible brainiac! I longed for that same enthusiasm.

In the months and years after completing the study I found my heart drawn to Daniel, but also to the other, lengthier, prophetic books of the Bible. I had always enjoyed the book of Revelation, but the big Old Testament books of prophecy like Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel had seemed overwhelmingly confusing. After all, how could I possibly figure out which prophecies were fulfilled in the past and which remained unfulfilled?
 

Two things happened at the same time to create a map through the maze. First, my husband bought me an iPod with the Bible downloaded into it. Unlike a tape or disk player, an iPod traveled with me. I could "read" Isaiah (or whatever) while doing the laundry, washing the dishes, making the bed, etc., etc., etc. Instead of it taking weeks to read, I was now able to listen to a big book of the Bible within a couple of days at the most. And then when I was done listening to the book I could go back and listen to the whole thing again and again and again. Not surprisingly, with that kind of repetition the fog began to lift a bit. 

Second, I discovered the wealth of information on the internet. It turned out that I was not the only one interested in end time events. There were articles on even the most obscure passages. True, some of the writers were "guessers" or even obviously unbiblical in what they were saying, but others relied heavily on the Scriptures to defend their positions. My interest in prophecy and the end times made the third of the Bible that deals with that become fresh and alive. 

Photo from stock.xchng Billy Alexander

It gradually dawned on me that God had answered my prayer. I loved the Bible. I really did. It was God's work in my life, and to Him I give all the glory. 


4 comments:

  1. Reading your book for a second time and just found this blog! I love your heart for The Lord and the way you write about God transforming your thoughts, desires and heart. God has used Beth Moore in my life as well to give me a love for Him and His word. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment, Caroline. Happy Bible-studying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too had a desire to love the Bible for a long time before I was really able to unlock the treasures it contains. It was Precept Ministries that enabled me to understand and love God's Word in a way that I had never been able to before. These people who are gifted in teaching others to grow in Scripture are such a blessing.

    Great post - thanks for sharing. Linked here from The Modest Mom Blog.
    Mel from Essential Thing Devotions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment, Mel. I so agree with you. What a special blessing gifted teachers are to the body of Christ!

    ReplyDelete