"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

(Proverbs 24:12, Paraphrase)

Thursday, September 5, 2013

My Desperate Need for Grace

For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous. Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5:19-21
Recently a post went viral on the internet entitle  FYI (if you're a teenage girl). A mother of teenaged boys wrote an open letter to her sons' online female friends. She warned that if they posted a picture of themselves in an  immodest outfit or pose they would be hidden. Zero tolerance policy. 

The post made some good points, as did some responses that also went viral. I believe the bottom line is that while girls should be modest in the way they present themselves, ultimately boys need to learn to control the way they think. 

That being said, I found myself feeling really sorry for those girls who were hidden. Who has never impulsively done something really stupid? I sure have! And while because of my conservative background much of my behavior as a teen was very closely monitored, I can't help but wondering if today's technology been available then and with all the opportunities to be stupid online, would I have made the cut? I hope so. 



But whether or not I would have made the cut, I have figured out something about Satan and sin. Satan wants me to feel I am the sum total of my stupid, or in some cases truly sinful, choices. Although I am forgiven by God, Satan wants me to feel a deep sense of shame.

Why would he care? What's it to him? He's can't have my soul, so why bother?

If Satan can get me to forget who I am in Christ, I will flounder around looking for security is something other than Him. I will desperately look for friends to reassure me and my endless search for affirmation will make me vulnerable to a whole plethora of sins. Perhaps not unlike these teenage girls taking less-than-well-thought-out pictures of themselves.

But I know something that Satan also knows. While it is true that I am not worthy, my worthiness never was the point. Jesus is worthy. And because of what He did on the cross, God now sees me not as the sum total of all of my stupidity and sin, but as the sum total of all that is Jesus. 
Image public domain
Grace Greater Than Our Sin
by Julia Harriette Johnston
Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
there where the blood of the Lamb was spilt. 
 
Refrain: Grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that is greater than all our sin!

Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
threaten the soul with infinite loss;
grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
points to the refuge, the mighty cross.
Dark is the stain that we cannot hide.
What can avail to wash it away?
Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
brighter than snow you may be today.
Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see his face,
will you this moment his grace receive?  
Praise God He does not have a zero tolerance policy. I have been forgiven so many times I can't even begin to imagine. Such amazing grace. 

See Am I Gorgeous Yet?
See "The Devil Made Me Do It."

No comments:

Post a Comment